June 22, 2009

Nova Scotia Here We Come?



We've already cancelled one vacation this year due to cold & flu, but we are not giving up yet! Next destination on the calendar is Nova Scotia in Atlantic Canada. This time, I'm dreaming of actually making the trip, without doctor visits or portable medicine cabinets.

We will fly overnight from San Francisco to JFK, and connect to Halifax in the morning. From there, we'll recuperate at the Hilton Garden Inn, head into Halifax for dinner, and make our way up to Cape Breton Island the next morning. We have a few reservations in place, but the rest of the days are open so we can follow our noses. Special thanks to Doug at Authentic Seacoast Resorts for connecting on Twitter, which provided some of the motivation behind this trip!

Oh, what was that? Why Nova Scotia? Well, about a hundred years ago when I was in college, I spent my junior year studying in Scotland. It was a splendid year, with fantastic scenery, crazy outdoor adventures, and newfound friendships. I'm not quite ready schlep the family across the Atlantic this particular summer, but I am ready to see some Scottish scenery on this side of the pond.


But no, this time I won't be submerging myself in icy waters. I'll happily paddle around on top, instead. So stay tuned for the 'family vacation' version of this upcoming trek - that is, if we actually make it to the airport this time!

There are more vacation dreamers hanging out with Mara at Mother of All Trips, a fantastic travel blog for kids and families! If you have a chance, check out her Mondays are for Dreaming columns, a great way to get your creative travel juices flowing.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is totally not a place I'd think of visiting, so I'm really hoping you do make it (without need for any meds) and will write about what it's like. Sounds like you'll have lots of flexibility to follow your whims, which is always fun.

Amy @ The Q Family said...

Sounds like it'll be a great vacation! :) I am not a big fan of cold weather but you might have tip my scale a bit with this post. Now I have to check out those links you posted and it might rise up on my dream trip. One more add to the list. :)

Authentic Seacoast Company said...

Glad we could provide some motivation! We're looking forward to welcoming you and your family on the Authentic Seacoast for some warm Maritime hospitality. For Amy, there is no cold weather in Nova Scotia in July and August with an average daytime high of 73 which is perfect for outdoor adventure. Here are some ideas for the family with the Authentic Seacoast 101, our activity guide with more than 101 things to do on the Authentic Seacoast:

Authentic Seacoast 101

Tiffany T said...

Have a fabulous trip! And, please, please, please include some video in that vacation photos post.

Lorraine Akemann said...

Mara, Amy - my husband isn't such a big fan of cold weather either - it took some convincing! Doug, thanks, I will check out the 101 things to do, we'll need it with the kids! Tiffany, you bet there will be video, warming up the camera now!

Carolina said...

Can't wait to read all about it. Is that you in the orange suit? What an adventurer.

Sharlene said...

I would love to go to Novia Scotia. I bet it will be amazing.